Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Clouded Leopard vs. Marauding Monkey!
I just received a fun story from the Fernando, the project manager at the breeding program at Khao Kheow Open Zoo in Thailand. I'll let him share it with you:

"I'm writing you because I want to tell you a cool story that happened at the breeding center the past month. I was there as every morning but, I noticed that something was different. Some of the residents were hidden in their nestboxes and I could see LaiThai climbing to the highest part of the fence.  That was a little weird because they usually stay on the nest boards or logs, not on the vertical fence. Then I realized that a male long tailed macaque was over the top of the fence. Most of the cats in that row of enclosures were hidden, but only one remained brave defending his territory: LaiThai.

After half an hour of growling and with the extra help of SenLek, finally the long tailed macaque was scared away from the breeding center.  Thanks to the courage of the youngest male at the center. It was really interesting to see the agonistic behavior between both species. I'm sorry that the pictures are not as good as they could be, but I think you will enjoy them anyway."
We are lucky that in the U.S. we don't have to worry about hazards like this (and cobras and pythons) that are a normal part of life in Thailand!
LaiThai checking out the threat.


LaiThai's close encounter.

 SenLek and LaiThail working together to scare off the macaque.


LaiThai the victorious!

0 comments:

Post a Comment