Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Singapore...Hungry for More!
Okay, this is more like it. We've been in Singapore for just a few hours and have already indulged in Malay and East Indian food with a side of mango milk ice. I'm in heaven! A little background for some of you: people who know me have heard me talk endlessly about my anticipation of the meals awaiting us in Asia. When traveling, a lot of people like to learn about the culture by sightseeing, shopping, through music or reading history. For me, it's all about the FOOD! I like to taste my way through cultures and have always found Asia very much to my liking. And, thank goodness, Singapore didn't let me down. I had highly anticipating visiting due to the cultural smorgasbord offered here. (If you don't believe me, just ask my culinary-travel muse, Anthony Bourdain.) Chinese, Malay, Indian...you name it, most of the East Asian cultures are well represented in cuisine. We made a beeline to a famous "hawker" court where there must have been close to one hundred different food stalls, not to mention the dozen or so satay stalls barbecuing outside. HEAVEN! I could spend a lifetime eating this food...it is that good. I've already enjoyed mango served three ways and the trip has just begun.

You might think I would move to Asia for clouded leopards. I would, but they would be second, right after the food!

Tomorrow we're visiting the Jurong Bird Park and the Singapore Zoo. Hopefully some cats await! (They even have a cloudie on the cover of the brochure!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment